Monday, September 13, 2010

MIMICKING BIRDS : S/T (2010)


link
genre: folk, singer-songwriter

Mimicking Birds began as the solo bedroom recordings of Oregon native Nate Lacy and eventually expanded to include close personal friends Aaron Hanson (drum) and Tim Skellenger (guitar). The music itself is very minimalist with simple rhythms and sparse arrangements, but what really sets it apart is Lacy's delicate vocal delivery.

I have a natural bias against most singer-songwriters. In my experience, they tend to lean on power chords, sing in cliches, and have massive egos. This is not the case with Lacy. You can hear a certain hesitancy and shyness in his voice as he fingerpicks through cyclical melodies. He's not a rockstar, he's just charming and talented. Plus, his voice reminds me of a less whiny hybrid of Okay and Electric President's vocalists (don't kill me for picking that adjective, I love both those bands).

Although most reviewers seem to favor the song "Loops," my personal favorites are "Burning Star," which is easily the most confident and structured song on the album, and "Cabin Fever."

P.S. sorry for getting this to you so late :c

2 comments:

  1. i didn't know who okay or electric president were so i looked them up and now you gave me 3 new bands to love in just one post!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you just copy and pasted this from

    http://stratosphering.blogspot.com/2010/09/mimicking-birds.html

    is there any original content in your blog?

    ReplyDelete